Thursday 9 April 2020

Lockdown Day 14 - Hot Cross Buns

What is Easter without Hot Cross Buns? This year, considering we are unable to make numbers trips to the store for these seasonal delights, we decided to try making some at home.

Before I show you how this went down, I need to draw your attention to a few things:

  1. Zac hates raisins. As a result we end up spending way too much on chocolate flavoured buns so that he is not left out.
  2. Andel eats all his HCB with butter and cheese. It is beyond me how he does this with said chocolate variety. He is also on a gluten-free buzz.
  3. Bayley and Sam love to eat. They can finish a pack of HCB in one day with ease. I think this is way too much sugar.
  4. The best way for me to be healthy is to cut down on carbs. Under these conditions, I should not be allowed any HCB, unless I find a keto-friendly version
Enter Kayla Itsines' Healthy Hot Cross Buns recipe - raisin free, gluten-free options, sugarless and low calorie.







I'll admit, it doesn't taste exactly like the original, but this first attempt (at anything remotely bread-like) did not go badly at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure my kids have just eaten the last of it right now.

1 comment: