Tuesday 16 April 2013

Super Saturdays

In our home, Saturdays don't really allow for putting up your feet and getting some (much needed) rest and relaxation. Before Zac was born, if we weren't working we were helping at events, and if we weren't playing sport, we were watching it.

Well, not much has changed.

When Andel didn't play rugby last year when Zac was born, I naively thought that perhaps that was the end of rugby for us. I assumed that the weekly cycling session he's been having with our friend Brendan for the last year was a replacement activity. I figured I would just have to get used to waking up between 05h30 and 06h30 each Saturday (when Andel leaves, or Zac wakes, whichever comes first), juggling breakfast, laundry and general cleaning, and having 4 hours of intensive one-on-one time with Zac - and hopefully gain back that time later in the afternoon.

Not so.

Rugby season started two Saturdays ago, and Andel is very much back in the swing of things. He has played both games (once off the bench), and already scored a try. So, despite Andel being able to attend only one training session during the week, and never mind the fact that he arrives home from his cycle only an hour or two before he's meant to be at the field, Zac and I now spend our Saturday afternoons on the sideline watching Andel play.

Andel on the bench - itching to play, I'm sure!

I quite enjoy watching live sport (especially when I'm a WAG). Still, watching with a very vocal and active 9 month-old is a whole other thing! I have to keep one eye on the game (so that I can give Andel a detailed critical evaluation of his performance) while running after Zac (who is usually crawling onto the field), with all our bags in tow. And when I've managed to secure him in his pram, my cheers and applause, are usually punctuated with action songs like "This Little Piggie" and "Round and Round the Garden" (much to Zac's delight).

 
Sometimes I'm lucky and have reinforcements - thanks Papu!


I also want to play...
 
And yet, I wouldn't have it any other way. And I suspect, as Zac gets older (and us more than likely having more sport-enthused children), this is something I'll be doing for a good couple of years still! So bring on Super Saturdays - I'll sleep when I'm old!

 
Far too much fun at the rugby!

1 comment: