Wednesday 30 March 2016

Sam Turns 1!

I have to admit, considering that I haven't blogged in over a month, I had to make an appointment for myself to do this (not that these thoughts weren't already in my head; I just needed an actual moment to get them down) because heaven forbid my child should become another 'second child' statistic! Truthfully, without even checking, I was going to start the pre-script exactly like I did Zac's which, I guess, already makes Sam a 'second child' statistic...

Dear Sam, my almost one year old boy...

Nothing about you being on this earth is accidental. I guess, in fairness, you could say that about everyone, still, when I think about your conception and your birth, I can't help but feel hopeful for all the things that must still be in store for you.

Before you were born, honestly, I was quite worried about how we would all adapt to you being here, and especially how I would love you whole-heartedly when I had Zac to love as well. But all it took was hearing your newborn cry, and by the time I got that first glimpse of you, I was totally smitten, and somehow you too had my entire heart. You still do.

You are the sweetest little boy, and then also full of fun and mischief, with a devilish sense of humour. You're kind of free-spirited and self-sufficient. You know exactly what you want, and you do things in your own way, in your own time (which is why, despite walking to Yaya on Sunday, you are not at all interested in repeating it for anyone). You quietly get on with the business of exploring your world. And when you find yourself in front of a camera: you readily flash that dimpled-smile and those beautiful bright eyes. Man, you're going to break some hearts one day.

I reckon being the second child must be tricky sometimes: there are constant comparisons and expectations. I want you to know that you don't have to be anyone else but who you are. You are unique and special and so, so loved. You're still my baby, you're definitely Daddy's boy, and you've given Zac the honour and absolute joy of being your big brother. Your life in ours has made us a family.

Our wish for you is that you'll grow up to be a good man: that you will dream big, live fearlessly, love abundantly, and experience the best this world has to offer. Mostly though, we pray that you will know Jesus. Oh, the love He has for you - you will never fully comprehend - and to walk with Him through this life is an incredible journey you don't want to miss.

We are so proud to be your parents, and I'm blessed by every moment I spend being your Mama.

I love you forever my beautiful, miracle, darling boy.


1 comment:

  1. So beautifully written! What a blessed little boy to be in such a lovely family! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete