Monday 1 July 2019

Holiday at Home: Making Rotis

I won't lie: I am a working mom out of desperation mostly. Admittedly, as we have had more kids, I have softened, and I am more willing (some days) to be a part-time / work-from-home mom. All things considered though, I go to work at least half of the time solely to remain sane. And so, being home with two kids for the holiday firstly is not a holiday, and secondly is challenging in terms of finding the creativity and patience to keep us all suitably occupied and happy.

But today, the boys and I made roti. From scratch.

Now, this would ordinarily not be any mean feat. I know plenty of Cape Town locals who make their own rotis any - or every - day of the week. However, when you add to this the fact that the kitchen is not really my place, you'll understand why this is post worthy.

I found this really easy, foolproof recipe on Food24, and the boys loved it! Not only is it super simple and not much mess, it tastes really good too. Seriously - it's yummy enough for me to have eaten some, before lunch, while on a keto eating plan (on which I have successfully avoided all bread stuff for most of the past six months!)

Ingredients:
4 cups of all purpose flour, sifted
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups hot water (off the boil)
1 tablespoon melted butter

Method:
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, remembering to mix the baking powder and salt into the flour separately before incorporating everything.
- Add the oil to the water, and then add the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Mix together using a wooden spoon, and then lightly floured hands.
- Remove from the bowl and knead on a floured surface before rolling into a long sausage of dough.
- Brush the dough with the melted butter.
- Divide into smaller portions before rolling them out into thin circles of dough.
- Fry each roti on high using oil or butter for frying.

 Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!






1 comment: