Monday 20 January 2020

Back to School

"Back to school, back to reality.."

I used to hate that song when I was a kid. It was part of a media ad that started playing almost immediately after Christmas, and signalled to me the start of another academic year. It basically called off the holidays even before it had officially ended. Fast forward 20+ years, and that same jingle elicits very different emotions. Now it's a reminder that the end is near, that I have survived the holidays with my children, and that very soon we can get back into a routine of some kind of normal.

This Christmas break was something. My first holiday with three kids was back in 2017. Bayley was a baby, and I was on maternity leave. Knowing that I did not have to return to work when the kids returned to school was probably my saving grace there. Then last year, we were away in the UK. Being surrounded by family and friends - and having Andel on leave with us - meant that I was actually never alone, and so we really did manage to have a holiday, despite being together all the time. This year, Andel worked most of the time, and I had a seven year old, four year old, and very active two year old, so my work was cut out for me.

Honestly, I could not deny the genuine relief when I began the school run last week - and on three different start dates, no less! I didn't even mind having to go to work myself. But by the afternoons, I really missed them. I missed the noise and the chaos, and all the things we take for granted but remind us of how blessed we are to have children in the first place. And when I collected them, I didn't have nearly as much sass from Zac, Bayley shrieked with delight at us all being reunited. and Sam excitedly rattled off all the new facts he'd learnt.

I take my hat off to parents. It's a tough gig. Whether you stay-at-home or work away, the demands for your time and attention (and sanity) are real and exhausting. But here's the truth: this is the most important, most amazing hard work you will ever have to do in your life. In spite of everything, let's let go of the guilt, and let's hold onto the moments we have right now by being genuinely present in them. All too soon this time will be over, and we'll be wishing we'd had more of it.

Take one: Zac

Take Two: Bayley

Take Three: Sam

1 comment: