Friday 24 July 2020

School: Covid Edition

Love him or hate him, our President is in an unenviable position. Let's be honest: he's damned if he does; damned if he doesn't, and today is just another day in which he'll face the onslaught in the wake of his address last night.

Schools: They fulfil the need for so much more than just education - and I don't mean that lightly; I'm an educator after all. For some they are the only place of safety. For even more they are the primary source of nutrition. They provide daycare in a time where even older kids cannot be left on their own. They foster friendships - some of them lifelong. They develop personalities, social interactions, and emotional growth. And they facilitate the acquisition and application of knowledge.

For the third time in lockdown, parents around the country are making arrangement for kids who, from Monday, can no longer go to school. For some it's a simple exercise of simply giving up some free time, or confirming with the office that they'll continue working from home. For others, it's a desperate situation that may cost them their jobs and/or livelihoods. I don't mean to downplay the former: I was doing online teaching from home for the initial lockdown and extension. While having the kids in the same space is possible, it's certainly not convenient or productive. My heart really goes out to the latter though. Before last week this was my fear because, from Monday, I am expected to be at work, in person, daily. Now with Andel home, at least I don't have to worry - but therein lies the problem: We are the minority. We are the privileged. What about those who have no other option?


In a twist in the tale, my school, because of its independent status, remains open. Let me not even start on the inherent injustices in this. We return to campus on Monday following our long break. I am usually anxious about returning anyway; add to this the complexities of school during a global pandemic, and I am surprised that I haven't fallen completely apart yet. Teaching as we know it will not be the same: we will balance in-contact and virtual teaching, live and asynchronously, and interactions will be limited, restricted, and impersonal. No doubt, the students returning will be a different version of the carefree teens I last saw in freedom in March.



So as we begin another month-long uncertainty regarding public education in this country, I'm reminded again of the strength, grace. and flexibility we require as we navigate this journey. God be with us all.

1 comment: