Sunday 11 July 2021

Keto Butter Chicken

 Navigating a keto diet with a family who isn't necessarily following the same can sometimes be tricky. That's why I like to keep the meals simple with easy substitutions - e.g. they eat rice; I eat caulimash. This is a butter chicken recipe that I adapted to suit our kitchen, and it's been an absolute hit in our house. I'm pretty sure that you can also add the regular non-keto things - like potatoes - if you wanted to.


Total Ingredients

* approximately 500g chicken breast meat (you can use deboned fillets or do that yourself at home)

* 1 cup double cream plain yogurt

* 3 tablespoons masala curry spice (I use an eleven-in-one because I like the taste)

* 3 teaspoons fresh, grated ginger

* 2 teaspoons minced garlic

* handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander

* 1 onion chopped

* 1 sachet tomato paste (you can also used tinned tomatoes if you want the substance)

* 1 teaspoon dried coriander

* 1 teaspoon cumin

* 2 tablespoons butter / ghee / coconut oil

* 1/2 cup heavy cream


Marinating Method

1. Use all the yogurt, 2 tablespoons masala, 2 teaspoons ginger, 2 teaspoons garlic, and some chopped coriander to create a marinade. 

2. Cut the chicken into small blocks and place in a large container with a lid. Cover completely with the marinade, and allow to chill in the fridge for at least at hour (I actually like to leave it overnight).


Cooking Method

1. Heat a little oil in a large pot, and start cooking the marinated chicken. I do it in bits at a time, and pour whatever remaining marinate is in with it. The chicken should take about 4 minutes per side to brown.

2. For the sauce mix the onion, remaining ginger, remaining garlic, tomato paste, and spices using a blender until everything is smooth. Then add to the pot, and cook the chicken in the sauce for a further 5 - 6 minutes. 

3. Stir the butter / ghee / coconut oil and cream into the pot, and cook for one more minute. Add salt and chilli (optional) to taste.

4. Serve with hot caulimash - or fragranced rice (Basmati or Jasmine work best) - and top with some fresh cilantro. 


This serves about 4 people but could be stretched to 6 if it's saucier or has other veg in it as well. 


ps. I forgot to take pics - I'll add some when I make this again. I doubt it'll be too long before then.

1 comment: