Monday 16 September 2013

Zac Goes to Hospital

So way back at the beginning of August, during a very stressful teaching prac time, Zac got a cold. That developed a cough. And a raging fever.Until finally he had full blown pneumonia.

Looking back, I can't say that there were any clear signs that it would get that bad. Sniffles and coughs are pretty common at this time of year, and considering that Zac's been pre-teething for a while, even the fever, once it broke 36 hours later, didn't worry me that much.

I've often been told about this mother's intuition thing, and for a long time - pretty much since Zac was born - I was not totally convinced that I had it! Turns out I was wrong, because 7 days after the start of Zac's cold, I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. The health professional and scientist in me started taking measurements and vital signs (not that I really knew what to do with them right then), trying to work out what needed fixing.

That continued the entire night. I took breathing rates, heart rates and temperatures repeatedly (still not knowing what exactly I was looking for), but thank God I did, because when we took Zac to the hospital the next day, I was able to give his paediatrician a run down that not only impressed him, but also helped him make the decision to admit Zac.

So, Zac's check-up turned into a 4 day stay at Constantiaberg Medi-Clinic, and a round-the-clock test of faith and physical endurance for me! Despite 2 days in high care, Zac made a speedy recovery and a few new friends, and after 3 days' out-patient treatment was (nearly) good as new!

In relatively high spirits despite the oxygen tubes

A peaceful night's sleep

Home care: Wynberg Boy in training!

So much better! (if naughtiness is anything to go by!)

Thank you to everyone to their love, support and prayers. You have no idea what a difference they made!

1 comment: