Friday 15 August 2014

Faith Walking

2 Corinthians 5:6-7 says "So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord for we walk by faith, not by sight". Like, what does that even mean, anyway?

No matter how many different versions or commentaries I read, everyone pretty much agrees that it involves seeing things in eternal consequences; to believe and obey the Word, even though it may conflict with man's ideas; to trust God in every circumstance, regardless of how things seem, or what people say.

I happen to be in a season of my life where I am required to walk by faith, and man, I am finding it tough! To me it seems sometimes it's easier to apply this eternal perspective to the bigger things - I believe in God, I believe in His salvation, I believe that all who give their lives to Him will go to heaven when they die etc. The 'less spiritual', more everyday things I find a little more difficult - like when people give up their jobs to look after their kids, not knowing where their finances are coming from; when someone stands quiet, taking it on the chin, when they could be absolutely, justifiably defending themselves; when someone chooses to hope for a miracle when the doctor says there's nothing more they can do...

Even though I may know the scripture and understand the interpretation, how I long for a more childlike faith. I think as we get older we often complicate things by trying to logically plan for, or work things out. God wants us to trust Him. He is our father - what parent doesn't  want that from their kids?
It's like when Zac wakes in the middle of hte night and quietly navigates his way to my bed in the dark: even though he can't see anything (to be honest, I actually think his eyes are still closed) he gets to me without crying, falling or getting lost because he knows the way, he believes that I am there, and he is convinced that I'll never leave him or let him get hurt. How much more shouldn't we believe that of God?

I don't have a quick fix soluation. I've still not found a way to completely stop my doubt, calm my anxiety, or quiet the voices of my fear. And yet I know - because my life already bears testimony to this - that God is trustworthy and faithful to fulfill his promises, and that as we place one foot in front of the other, our hand holding tightly onto His, we will not be disappointed.

1 comment: