Friday 16 October 2015

Pause


I have been so super, crazy busy lately. I think since returning to work life has resumed its fast-paced, activity filled madness, and in truth, we get used to it. It becomes the norm. So when I say activity-filled I don't refer to dates, parties, outings etc. What I actually mean is there are around two hundred actions that are our routine, that keeps us sane - or at least moving - from day to day.

By definition, a pause is a temporary stop in action or speech, and as you can tell, I have not done so long enough to blog. So let's do just that: Pause. And catch up a bit.

I'm thinking about...
How to better my marriage. Seriously. I've never been one to sugar coat marriage. For me it is - and will always be - hard work. And not because of Andel. Marriage is work in the sense that it's deliberate and purposeful; both partners have to be equally and fully engaged; and there are a number of other factors that challenge the harmony every day - one of which would be kids. So, Andel and I are taking a Date Night challenge to go on three dates in three weeks, and then one date a month thereafter. Watch this space.


I'm watching...
I have not read or watched TV in ages (although Andel says I just have to start Code Black), so I guess I've been watching my boys mostly. I'd love to be watching the back of my eyelids instead, but we're on the back end of a terrible week as far as nights are concerned. Both Zac and Sam have chesty coughs and runny noses courtesy of the blustery wind and increasing amounts of pollen in the air. If I've managed four hours of uninterrupted sleep, it's been a good night.

I'm listening to...
Different versions of the Days of the Week, because that is what Zac is singing. All day. Every day. I am looking forward to getting Swing City's Well Swung album though. They're a local swing band consisting of well known individual frontmen/performers of which my good friend Nathan Ro (of Project Fame days) is one. They are fantastic live, and I can't wait to hear all they've done on this, their first studio album.

The Swing City boys: Loyiso, Nathan & Graeme

I'm loving...
The fact that Paaper Bites have made a reappearance. When I was at school, the shop on the corner sold these, and we'd buy them probably every other day. I still remember: Secret Flavour and Bombay Chili were my favourite. I know they aren't very healthy, but I love them, and I enjoy the nostalgia that accompanies it.


I'm busy...
Trying to find family holiday options for a long weekend in December. This is no easy feat - it's high season, and we can only do weekends as Andel may not take any leave in December. I'm pretty determined though, so hopefully we find something suitable, somewhere, soon.

Our last (first) family getaway

I'm going to...
A21 Campaign's Walk for Freedom tomorrow morning. The organisation is doing fantastic work world wide and I'm glad I can be a small part of it locally. It's just a 5km walk on the Promenade, but I'm hoping it'll also kick start us into some form of exercise heading into Summer.

I'm battling with...
Not being in good shape. I've been feeling run down for a while, and if you add that I've not lost any baby weight, I've not exercised in years, and I'm getting very little sleep - I'm a bit of a mess, to be honest. And Sam is teething. Enough said.

I'm resolving to...
Be more disciplined. For me, part of the reason I'm all over the place (mentally) is because I'm all over the place (literally), so I'm going to start erecting some boundaries, do a little prioritising, organise my life and hopefully have a little more room to pause (and date).

1 comment:

  1. Good! You have the plan now to put it into practise! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete