Thursday 11 January 2018

Sammy Goes To School

This morning we sent our baby boy to school.

Actually, he's not really a baby as such. He's two - nearly three, in fact. Still, he's the little boy, and because he been home or at his Yaya's house all his life so far, it's a big deal.

I'm not quite sure how Sam got the good fortune of not having to go to school for so long when Zac was sent to formal daycare (albeit with his Yaya) at 13 weeks. Somehow as things changed with Yaya changing jobs, and Papu retiring, Sam's situation stayed more-or-less the same, and he just woke every day and head to Newmans. While I know he loved it - in particular: playing with Adrienne, and accompanying Papu to Pick 'n Pay - with him due to start Nursery next year, we thought it was time to introduce him to school.

We found a place at the end of last year, and took him for a short visit there before they closed for the holidays. As a result, he spent a good portion of the last few weeks talking about his "new school (with the bikes)". Even last night he was still super excited to go. Truthfully though, I wondered whether he'd still feel the same way today.

He slept until 07h00 this morning - later than he'll need to going forward - and woke happy, as he always does. He greeted me with a huge grin and said, "Mommy, I going to school today". So he merrily got dressed, brushed his teeth, packed his bag and put on his peak cap. I looked at him for a while, in disbelief that I am, actually, sending a second child to school, and that he is no longer my baby. And I felt a little bad because he's gone through a lot of change and growing up the last three months. He must have sensed this, because he looked at me and confidently declared, "Mommy, it's going to be awesome!".

On our way to school

We took a family trip to school this morning. We all went in. We all watched him eat breakfast. And we all lingered for a bit. We were probably all waiting for the tears too, which threatened for us all when Sam asked, "Can Zac-i stay with me?". But then all it took was a little tour of his classroom - and the little toilets he can use - and he was ready and rearing to go. He gave me a huge hug and a kiss, whispered, "I love you" into my ear, and went off with his teacher.

Skater-boy Sam, ready to roll

Sammy Spoon, I am so proud of you. You are growing up so fast, and so beautifully, and with so much grace for all the changes we've enforced on you lately. I know you're going to love being in this environment where you can learn and play and find out more about who you are. And you're right, my boy, it is going to awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment