Monday 30 December 2019

Bucket List: Go to the Ice Rink

I must admit that, upon learning of my children’s genuine disappointment at us not being in some winter wonderland for Christmas this year, I was a little thrown. I thought that they understood the uniqueness of last year’s holiday, and I didn’t realise all the accompanying associations they would miss. One of these things seemed to come up repeatedly: snow. When it was forecast that it would be a rather wintery Christmas in Cape Town, they excitedly assumed that it would bring some of that white fairy dust – and even though for a day or two there was a snow warning, it didn’t materialize. 

Then I was surprised by a simple solution. We were going through which Family Bucket List items we could add to our holiday to-do list (a necessity when home alone with three busy kids) when we hit the jackpot: ice skating! Apparently, part of the winter appeal is skating on the frozen lake, and to a seven-year- old and four-year-old, there isn’t much difference between that and an artificial rink.

My children have only ever seen an ice rink once – last year in Wales – and they have never skated before. I remember packing for the outing with every eventuality in mind: Would they skate or chicken out? Would they pick the mini rink or the larger rink? Would I have to skate with them? Would I even be able to manage them on the ice knowing that I had not skated in around 20 years too? Turns out, I was worried for nothing because as we arrived, the kids’ eyes lit up as they ran towards the mini rink in the food court outside the big rink. They excitedly exchanged their summer slipslops for skates, and after a quick briefing about forming fists when falling, they proudly head onto the ice. It took a little while for them to warm up to everything, and then Zac, armed with some confidence, let go of the rail, and Sam smiled widely as he said, “mom, we’re skating on the snow!”



Just for fun!

So not only did we manage to tick another thing off our Bucket List, we managed to bring a little Christmas magic to it. Who knew R60 and a precious memory could bring so much joy!

1 comment: