Monday 30 December 2019

Cut for CANSA

Each year, over February or March, CANSA has its Shave-a-thon drive to raise money for research, treatment and support of cancer and its patients in South Africa. Many times, I have watched others I know do this, and considered the experience of doing something so brave and selfless myself, but I have never been able to do something quite so drastic – especially not involving hair. You see, I have a love-hate relationship with mine. I have dreams of long flowing locks, pretty up-styles, and am the poster-child for the mom-bun. But I also have a nervous disorder called trichotillomania which means that I have places of damage and baldness, and an irrational fear of hairdressers. 

Sometimes the truth hurts. This was the case with my hair most recently. My hairdresser avoidance meant really long hair (great), but hair thinning, split ends, and a desperate need for a rescue. By the time I mustered up the courage to say aloud to Andel that I thought I needed a drastic cut, he was no longer afraid of agreeing with me. And so, he supported me though the process of consulting with a hairdresser, and setting the plans in motion. After all, it’s only hair, and hair grows back.

As I mentally prepared to cut my hair that, when blown out was already almost reaching my hips, I wondered if there was anything positive that could come out of it to give me some extra motivation – and that’s when I read up on donating your ponytail. Basically, you have to be able to donate a ponytail of at least 25cm, and then they combine it with other hair to make free wigs to cancer patients who have lost their own hair due to treatment. That was all it took – me being able to help someone – to convince me to just get it done.

And so last week I went to the hairdresser (alone), and cut off 35cm of ponytail. I did freak out a little while sitting there, but then I remembered the benefits – for the recipient of my ponytail, as well as my own hair – and felt the literal weight off my shoulders, and I relaxed. I’m so pleased that, although the style is shorter than I’m usually comfortable with, my hair is looking so much thicker and healthier, and I’m encouraged to try keep it that way. Also, my hair-washing shower time is down to two minutes or something ridiculous. It’s true: it is just hair, and it’s already growing back!

Before: the blowout & After: the freakout


1 comment: