Tuesday 1 July 2014

Cuzzie Love

Last week my sister, her husband and their kids set of on what can only be described as an awesome 3-month long adventure (for a whole lot of reasons that you can follow here). I'm actually not sure why I neglected to post about this before. Perhaps it's that their departure comes on the back of Tarrin already being in Ireland, and me moving jobs. Talk about a season of separation! Anyway, this post is not about me.

Leading up to this move, Ash and I were very aware of the impact it was going to have on our kids. Zac and Ethan are three months apart in age, and best friends. They spend everyday and do everything together - laugh, play, fight, bath. And, bar one or two short holidays apart, this has been the norm pretty much since Zac was born. Add to this that Jorja is the third musketeer (or perhaps the Queen ruling over her subjects), we were preparing for some drama.

At Bonny Babies, watching Budgie the Helicopter

We were told they "helped water the garden"

It started when we went to the airport to say goodbye. Ethan had just fallen asleep after quite an emotional afternoon. Jorja, on the other hand, was super excited and determined not to miss out on anything! As we got out of the car Zac exclaimed, "my Jorja. I go with Jorja" and accompanied her to the check in, the two of them walking hand in hand. I saw a few fellow passengers throw a look at Ash and PJ standing there with a pre-schooler and two toddlers, obviously praying they were not booked on the same flight.

Zac accompanying Jorja to check in

Ethan woke shortly before boarding time, and he and Zac wasted no time in running riot, watching all the Dustys (the aeroplanes) take off and land through the big window. When it was time to say goodbye they happily smiled for photographs, gave each other a thumbs up and a big hug, and said goodbye. Armed with a balloon each, we thought it had gone off pretty well. Later Ash text me saying that as soon as they boarded (and at every disembarkation and boarding thereafter) Ethan asked if they were going to Zac-i.

Since then it's been amazing to watch. For Zac, going to school where there is no Ethan and Jorja is quite a change, I think. He's told me a few times already "Etin, Jorja gone. Go on Dusty". But thank heavens for Skype! It really does make the distance seem only half as bad. I watch Jorja bubble with excitement as she shrieks "oh Zac-i, we miss you!", and can't help but giggle as Zac and Ethan try to high five each other through the screen. We think these kids are just babies, and then they surprise us with all that they know!

Skype kisses

Techno-savvy 21st century kids!

This morning was my best though: Every morning when Zac wakes he comes to give me a hug and kiss, and I ask him the same questions "did you have a good sleep?" (he always answers "yesh") and "did you dream?" and depending on whether he did or not, I may also ask "and who did you dream about?". This morning's answer made my heart swell! Did he have a good sleep? Yesh. Did he dream? Yesh. Who did he dream about? Ash and Etin.

Day made!

2 comments:

  1. WE MISS YOU, ZAC-i! Chat soon: Fin. Noggin. Dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joys of modern technology! Makes everyone seem that little bit closer. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete