Tuesday 18 November 2014

Half Way Here (second time around)

I distinctly remember writing this post with Peanut (Zac) so I guess it's only fair that I do the same with Button.

I can't believe that Button and I are nearly at the end of our 20th week together. That's half way already! They say everything happens faster than the time before, so I guess it does makes some sense that I feel this has caught me by surprise a little.

So much has happened since we first found out about our little miracle in August. Admittedly a lot of that time I've spent trying to limit my excitement, and wait out all the worry phases (it's dumb, I know, but I just couldn't help it) so you can imagine how I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I first saw and heard our baby on screen.

Our first glimpse of Button around 9 weeks

Since then, it's all been pretty plain sailing. I first felt movement around week 16, but it was so faint and irregular that by week 18 I was sure that I'd just imagined those first flutterings. But now, as with Zac, I'm feeling plenty movement, strangely enough, in a similar pattern to what I did with Zac (another night-owl, it seems). It's amazing how that movement (and a belly growing at an alarming rate) can make everything seem so much more... real.

In terms of any planning, we literally have not done a single thing - except start preparing Zac for the new addition. I often get asked how Zac's coping with everything, and to be honest, I don't know; I'm not sure how much he really understands. We've told him he's going to be a big brother next year - but who knows what that translates to, to a two-year-old. I do know though that he knows Button is in my belly (although perhaps he's confused by my bellybutton), and that he lovingly hugs and kisses my bump when asked to. I don't think we could ask for more than that right now. We're all in this learning curve together: us trying to balance speaking about the new baby with giving Zac loads of undivided attention, and he beginning to deal with the new limitations, like not being carried or held on my lap as much.

A preview of the belly

So next on the agenda, next week, we have the big 21 week scan and a final check up before we head off to the UK for a month. It was at this scan last time that we found out Zac's gender, so - who knows - perhaps the next baby blog-post will involve a big reveal... You'll have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment