Thursday 13 November 2014

Props to the Imperfect Parent

I know it's completely uncool to give yourself a proverbial pat on the back, especially on a platform as public as a family blog. Still, after a week of some pretty thought-provoking experiences both professionally and personally, I thought it would be appropriate to send this shout-out to Andel, myself and every other parent who fits this bill.

Dear Imperfect Parent

I just want to thank and commend you on the good job you're doing as a parent to your kid/s.

I spend a lot of time with kids who have everything. They live in these mansions with their hearts every desire met in it. They have access to the latest, coolest clothes, accessories and electronics. They holiday all over the world for no good reason. Hell, most of these kids personally have more money than we do. But the one thing that some of them lack, severely, is respect and compassion.

You may not be able to give your kids all the things they - and you - would like to have. You, like us, may not yet have our own home. Overseas - or any - holidays may be few and far between. I know this one we're going on may be the last for a long while - and who knows how much of it Zac will even remember when he's older. Your kids may continue to get hand-me-down clothing, shoes and toys. But they have a lot of love, and they're getting discipline and sound values. And at the end of the day, they're going to be more functional units of society than most of the other kids I mentioned.

We are far from perfect, both as people and as parents, and still, by the grace of God, our kids are well adjusted little people we can be proud of, and who understand that there are consequences to decisions - that don't define us, but that help to shape us.

I think you're doing an amazing job, and I just wanted to let you know. Well done!
(Andel, I love you, and I'm so glad we're going another round together)


1 comment: