Thursday 23 June 2016

The Bucket List

This morning, while sitting in a meeting discussing some possible future business prospects, my friend whips out his phone to show the other business partner my Facebook profile, and one of my latest posts happen to be one of those tick-what-you've-done-on-this-generic-bucket-list kinds. As we went through the list together (quite a good way of getting to know someone, actually) it suddenly dawned on me: why have I never done my own, personal bucket list?

So, here it is - a brand new list of 20 things (with some pictures to whet the appetite); all things I have not yet done, that I would like to have done before I die:

Travel
I'd love to make it to all the continents, but realistically, the max we're probably looking at is six. Still, having only been to the UK and Ireland, a few European and Asian airports while in transit, and Tanzania (mainland and Zanzibar), there's still a hell of a lot of traveling to be done.

1. Surf on the beaches of Hawaii

2. Attend Carnival in Rio


3. Visit Morocco (I'm not sure why)


4. Go to Vic Falls

5. Tour Italy, Greece and Croatia in a single trip

6. Snowboard in the Alps 

7. Stay in a water bungalow in Bali

8. Do some kind of road trip across the USA

9. Road-trip South Africa


Local Thrill Seeking
I must admit, I've become so much more cautious since becoming a parent. Still, when my kids are older, these are things I'd like to do. Probably in tandem with the instructor/Andel.
10. Deep sea dive
11. Bungee jump or sky dive
12. Shark view from an aqua sub (I'm not sure how I feel ethically about teasing sharks from a cage)
13. Paraglide
14. Take a helicopter tour of Cape Town
15. Ride in a hot air balloon



Personal Achievements
These are things I'd like to do for myself - without any pressure to do anything else thereafter:
15. Get my Masters (and maybe PhD)
16. Release an album
17. Publish an academic and/or lifestyle article nationally at least
18. Learn a new language
19. Run a half/full marathon
20. Make a significant difference in a stranger's life


Now to start ticking these off. Life begins after 30, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment