Wednesday 20 June 2018

Six Going on Sixteen

It's two days past Zac's birthday, so this post is already late - but then we did have a minor hospital visit we had to contend with. Ordinarily this lack of birthday blog preparedness and consistency would bend me out of shape, so it's pleasantly surprising that this delay has allowed me to do a retrospective post this year.

Zac, you are complex. That's putting it mildly. And your sixth year that's just passed has been both interesting and challenging, because you are no longer a pre-schooler stuck in the in-between of baby and big. You are now a grown boy. Of course, navigating this cross over is a learning curve, and we've knocked heads a number of times (two strong wills, one on either side of an argument, is going to do that plenty still).  It's easy to get caught up in the difficulties - mostly because they are few and far between when compared to the good times, and so we remember them better - but I want to celebrate and remember the good things; the stuff that is the essence of who you are. Because I realise that's what everyone sees in you, all the time, even through tantrum-tinted glasses.

You are so bright. Oh my word. You have an understanding of the world and people, and things you shouldn't even be thinking about yet, that is, well, intimidating, if I'm honest. But it's a pleasure to hear you read to your siblings, and have you programme things on my phone, or set the laptop up for movies; and what would I do without you being able to turn the oven on and off? What's the best though is that you have a heart full of desire to learn, and in that you lovingly encourage others to as well.

"A blessed 6th birthday to our little 'professor' Zac Klaasen... Jesus loves you so much and we love you too!"

All of a sudden, you are sport crazy! First it was swimming. Then cricket. Then rugby. Then formula one. Now football and cycling. And it's not that you jump from one interest to the other; you simply add to a growing list of disciplines, activities and events that you are actually obsessed with.

"Happy birthday to our cricket-crazy Zac-iii! You are so much brain is a small-y body... and the cutest mouthful of perfect square teeth. We love you so much..."

You are loving. You are committed and put time and effort into relationships. You enjoy fellowship with others; to engage. Of course, there are times this comes in the form of conflict, but you are sensitive and pure in heart, so you apologise and reconcile willingly. And you love Jesus. You are an authentic worshipper, and love serving in His house.

"Happy birthday gorgeous boy. What a blessing you are in our lives... a true gentleman with a heart for the Lord."

Zac James, you can drive me mad, but you sure do make me proud. I'm learning that all your qualities are purposeful, and that if I can do my bit to hone them without stifling them, you'll one day be able to use them to do great things. I love you, my boy. You made me a mom, and it has been the most wonderful privilege to watch you grow. You make me so much better than I could be without you, and I'm excited by the many more adventures I know you'll take me on. Love you forever, x

No comments:

Post a Comment