Thursday 26 March 2020

Lockdown

COVID-19 | The OWHC in times of crisis - Organization of World ...

The past three weeks have been incredible. One minute I was at work, discussing the probability to COVID-19 coming to South Africa, and in seemingly the next, I am heading to bed after my last permissible day outside, with the local infection number sitting close to 1000.

Three days ago the President of South Africa issued a national lockdown beginning at midnight tonight for 21-days, to combat the rapid spread of the virus. I think deep down, everyone knows it the right move. Still, I don't think anyone of this generation can imagine what's to come.

And perhaps that is why I'm going to record each day on this platform. The novelty, coupled with the fact that I am on a social media fast, should gain some interesting perspectives, especially since being locked down without Facebook and Twitter (those are the only ones I use - I'm over 35 so it shouldn't come as a surprise) I genuinely don't know what's going on outside of our space.

Speaking of which... Here are, in an entirely random non-order, some of my immediate thoughts:

- Our home is pretty small. It's never bothered us; we've always just wanted a proper yard. I have a feeling it's going to get even smaller.
- I have already been home with all three kids for nearly two weeks after the abrupt school closure just before the scheduled holiday. Up until now I've been able to take them outside daily.
- Andel has been working so tomorrow will be his first day at home with us.
- The three biggest things I'm juggling right now is: homeschooling the kids, teaching my classes online, and trying to stay up to date on my own studies. I have never felt more insane.
- For kids who know quite a bit about Corona Virus, mine are pretty unfazed by its proximity to us. While they diligently wash their hands, and try (sometimes not so successfully) not to touch things, they are not afraid. Zac is more concerned that I am not shopping like everyone else.
- Our home is incredibly peaceful, and there is a real expectation during this waiting. Let's hope it's still there tomorrow.

Wishing you all good health, and safety during this time. I'm off to try get my grocery order in when it opens at 00h00.

1 comment: