Monday 30 March 2020

Sam: My Favourite Five

No one could have guessed that this year Sam would be spending his birthday in lockdown, and when the realisation eventually dawned on him yesterday, he was bitterly disappointed that no one would be able to celebrate with him. I know this post and my lastminute.com cake is not going to do much to make up for it, still, I wouldn't let this day go by without a special celebration focusing on just five of the many things I love about our new five-year-old.


1. Selfless
Look, no one is entirely selfless, still, at his core, Sam is all about everyone else. He is the sweetest little boy who will, without prompting, come to me when I'm feeling ill, rest the back of his hand on my head, and say, "you rest Mama, I'll look after you". He shares everything with his siblings. I'm not kidding. And will even sacrifice his beloved Blankey to cover his sister if she is cold. Listen, the fact that he will bowl to Zac for hours on end is already medal-worthy, in my opinion.



2. Sensitive
Like his dad, despite a big physical presence, Sam is a softie. He is kind and considerate - like he'll design a birdhouse with two floors - one closed, the other open, so that they can decide where they want to be. This past Summer when Australia had those devastating fires, he would cry as he prayed for the protection of the people and animals in the affected areas, and wake every morning asking if the fires had been put out yet. He cares greatly for his friends, hates seeing people get hurt, and loves a good cuddle. He feels everything deeply - from a good belly laugh to an earth-trembling tantrum.



3. Stout
Stout is the Afrikaans word for naughty, and boy, if Sam wants to be he can be helluva naughty! That tantrum I mentioned comes with an impressive roar and a serious sulk. But it doesn't last long. Sam is pretty quick to say sorry, and most of the trouble he lands himself in stems from his sense of adventure and mischief. Lately these things have included smashing guavas (from our neighbour's tree) into our walls, teaching Bayley to urinate in the yard, and creating flavoured water by adding twigs and other greenery to ours.



4. Spiritual
Sam really loves the Lord. I thought he'd be too young to really understand much about our faith, but Jesus wasn't kidding when He said we need to be like kids to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Not too long ago, he and Zac were asking me about Father Christmas, and how you can know whether or not he is real. In conversation, I asked, "How do you know God is real?". Both boys were confident, "That's obvious! He hears us when we pray. Look at all the things He's made and done". Most recently Sam has also taken to wanting to sing in my band at church. I discouraged this for a while thinking it may be seen as a distraction - or my family overthrowing the other band members - but I have seen my boy worship, and He does it in spirit and in truth, with his whole heart.



5. Surprising
I think the most encompassing thing about Sam is that he never ceases to surprise us, in the most amazing ways. I remember when, at his first birthday, he still wasn't speaking much, and then, a couple weeks later, he just started chatting away in these full sentences, like it was there all along. And that's pretty much how he lives his life - along his own path, according to his own schedule. And that has been his greatest gift to me; to get me to slow down, and enjoy things like he does. I have seen him develop into this talented artist, hard-working sportsman, creative designer, and resilient worker. I can't even begin to imagine what he'll show us next.



This past year has come with its challenges, the biggest being Sam having to get specs to try to save his eyesight. God has been so gracious to him, and Sam has taken everything in his stride, with that megawatt smile on his face. I am so grateful for the gift Sam is to me, and to our family.

We love you so much, Super Sam! Happy birthday, big boy!

1 comment:

  1. 💖💖💖💖Happy blessed birthday Sam!

    ReplyDelete