Friday 5 June 2020

Lockdown Lessons

We have been in lockdown for 71 days today. That's 10 whole weeks! Granted, we have been in varying stages here, the logistics of it all have remained pretty much the same for us: Andel working from home except for going in to work twice a week; me working from home; the kids doing school from home. In fact, in all this time, I think I have left the neighbourhood twice.

If you think about a period of 10 weeks though, it's a long time. It's a school term, almost one trimester of pregnancy, a full season nearly. And during this time, I'm sure we each have at least one new things we have learnt (or improved upon). I asked the family about their lockdown lessons.

Andel
"I have learn how to juggle the many roles of husbanding, parenting, teaching, working, and cleaning all at the same time."
This experience - us all being home together - has been amazing for our family. Of course there are times when the proverbial pawpaw hits the fan; still, we have learnt so much about ourselves and each other. I love that Andel has added 'cleaning' separately. Those who know him know that he'll always sweeping and mopping. Seriously though, he has lifted such a load domestically, just being here, and it has allowed us to the get the important things of work and school done.



Zac
"I have figured out how to play frisbee, and managed to teach Sam to do it too. Now we can play together. I am also learning to journal every day (which I need to do for school). I didn't like it at first, but I'm getting better at it." 
When it comes to school Zac is extremely self-motivated. He doesn't need to be told to work. He'll get up at 05h30 and be done by the time he has breakfast. What he does need help with is how to manage himself in his free time, and how to be part of a positive environment for everyone. Some days are better than others, but overall, he is improving his emotional intelligence every day.



Sam
"I have learnt how to read, how to write, how to Zoom, how to eat, how to tell time, and how to play frisbee."
This is almost all true. Sam has really done so well at home. I was not sure that we were the best teachers for him, given the contrast between his very laid back approach to things, and my, well, not laid back approach - but he has done so well. It has been a blessing and privilege to be home and see, firsthand, how he has learnt to write all his letters, identify all their sounds, and break words into sound parts and syllables. I have hundreds (I'm not even joking) of illustrations and books to show for all his learning.



Bayley
"I like Mommy and Daddy and Zac and Sam and Bayley all home together."
Yes, she does! I can tell you that Bayley, amongst other things, has learnt to scale the kitchen cabinets, open unopened food items, flood the bathroom, cut book pages and hair, gatecrash Zoom meetings, and a healthy dose of sass and manipulation too! She is going to battle to go back to school!



Robyn
This has been a productive time for me, surprisingly! For one, I managed to make significant gains on my Masters studies. I basically did in one month what I could not do in 10! And I have learnt to cook (my repertoire has gone from steam / grill / mix to stews, soups, casseroles and bakes) - and draw! Having two pre-K kids will do that to you!


1 comment: