Friday 5 June 2020

Lockdown Blues

Over the past few months our friend - and Zac's music teacher - Tony Drake, has been putting together a series of lockdown musical collaborations. Basically he puts together some music, sends a couple bars to whomever is going to be part of the project, and they then get to write whatever music and lyrics they want to it. A couple weeks ago, Zac and I got to be part of the collaboration.

It was daunting at first, I won't lie. Even as a lyricist and musician, I tend to stick to a certain 'style', and when I got the very bluesy guide track, I was worried I wouldn't be able to think up anything. I won't lie, I procrastinated over it a bit, and left it to the last day to get it done. I guess sometimes us creatives work better under some pressure. While I was busy on it, my ever-inquisitive Zac wanted to know what I was up to, and before long, I had written up something for us to do together.

Here is the video of the full song of our and three other collaborators' contribution to it, as well as the lyrics for the part Zac and I did:



Going on day 53
Hubby, three young kids, and me
Just trying to get on by
In isolation every day
Too little space for us to play
And I'm starting to lose my mind

But the wheels they keep on churning
Midnight oil keeps burning
Ain't got no time to cry
We got school things to be making
We got Zoom calls to be taking
And don't forget - three kids to keep alive

We've got the lockdown blues
Moping in our lockdown shoes
Just a visit to the lockdown blues
Ain't no room here to stay
We've got bills still to pay
Got to make it through the day


This was actually so much fun! Apart from the fact that it's all very tongue in cheek, it was really great to take a break from what must be done, and do something that has long last been done. And how's Zac? I may have a little blues rocker in the making. Enjoy! :)


For more amazing original and cover music from Tony, check out his Youtube and Facebook pages.

1 comment: