Thursday 18 June 2020

Unforgettable

Unforgettable. That's a word making a comeback as we think about this year, 2020. It is used to describe the global state of the COVID pandemic, the state of lockdown, the time of parents becoming remote learning facilitators, and how you will remember this very different birthday. To me though, this is also (for many years already) how I'd describe you.

Unforgettable
That's what you are
Unforgettable
Though near or far
Like a song of love that clings to me
How the thought of you does things to me
Never before has someone been more
Unforgettable

These are the lyrics of a song made famous by Nat King Cole in 1952 - 60 years before you were born - and that I loved so much in 1992 when his daughter did a virtual duet with him. In 2012, 20 years later, you made me a parent, and I have never been the same.

I can't believe you are eight years old today. Where has the time gone? How am I already partnering with you in the kitchen, or writing and performing songs with you, or  having so many intellectual conversations - and even more emotional disagreements? You're a bit of an enigma; a rosebush of prickly thorns and beautiful flowers. You drive me to drink, and then drown me with delight. You are, quite simply, unforgettable.

Never lose that insatiable curiosity, or the passion with which you pursue the wide variety of your interests. Continue to practise being gracious and kind, and use your smarts to better the world for all those in it. Trust the Lord with your heart, your dreams and your desires, and watch Him move. I'm not sure I've met anyone as resolute as you - at least not at this young age. You have a great future ahead of you, Cooks, and I can't wait to see it all unfold.

Happy Birthday Zac! I love you!

ps. How's this for a video that my old, replacement phone put together automatically about you?!


1 comment: