Wednesday 18 May 2011

Vote: Hope

Today, in South Africa, it's election day. And while others are exercising their democratic rights, I'm exercising my self control and perseverance at work.

I don't think you can experience a voting day and not be introspective. Whether we like it or not, voting tension is everywhere: everyone has their own opinion, their own agenda, their own reasons to vote or not to vote.

I find myself wondering how much South Africa has really changed: since our last vote, since our last president, since our first election. It's clear that there are people living here who are still deeply hurt by the events in our country's history: a past and pain that not even 15 years of democracy can erase. There are young people still captive in prejudices they were brought up in. There is still poverty, corruption and crime.

But there is also hope. I love how people in South Africa are embracing their cultural diversity. I love how children, like Natasha, see kinship, not colour(she reckons she is a white Catholic). I love people are able to play their sport, excel in their profession, see the world regardless of their background or differences.

And there's our Living Hope: that God is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-present, and entirely in control gives me such perspective. With Jesus in my boat, I can smile at EVERY storm!

I've heard that in choosing not to vote, you give up your right to have a say. I'm going to vote. I choose to have my say, make my mark, and be hopeful for this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment