Wednesday 5 January 2022

Pause - January 2022

 I recently had a little time on my hands (wink, wink), so I thought I’d get everyone back up to speed.


I’m thinking about... how divisive this pandemic is, generally. I don’t want to get into it except to say that there is enough pain, disappointment, and confusion without people disrespecting and disregarding each other. Agree to disagree. Be kind. And the church - use the opportunity to direct the world to living Hope who doesn’t change, regardless of which side of the arguments you stand.


15 Kindness Ideas COVID-19/Coronavirus | Be Kind | Inspire Kindness



I’m watching… cricket. Living in South Africa (maybe a couple other countries share this), cricket is almost synonymous with the festive season. I have these vivid memories of hot summer days, left over Christmas or New Years Day dessert, and the hum of commentary in the background. It’s just a pity that no spectators are allowed - and that the Proteas are playing so poorly. 


May be an image of 1 person, child and standing
Aspiring Protea in an Indian shirt



I’m listening to… choral music, naturally. Not only have we been getting into the Drakensberg Boys Choir, I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to the One Voice Children’s Choir. I first heard them during lockdown doing a cover of Memories by Maroon 5, and then recently watched them perform What Child is This? on The Chosen: Christmas Special. 



I’m loving… tidal pool dipping. We are pretty fortunate to have a number of really picturesque and safe tidal pools to swim in. Tarrin, who dips almost daily in Ireland (yes, that cold country) has been trying to get me to do these dips more regularly, and when she was here in November we had a great early morning dip with the family. I since done two more - which isn’t much, but it’s a start considering it’s been bloody cold both times.


GC8E3QA Miller's Point Tidal Pool (Traditional Cache) in Western Cape,  South Africa created by SawaSawa
Miller's Point Tidal Pool



I’m busy… labelling everything. All three kids have changed schools, and the amount of stuff each one of them has that needs to be labelled is insane. I actually have a hole in my middle finger where the sewing needle has pierced it a couple times. I look forward to a time where my kids are older, more responsible, and less likely to lose items - or can label them themselves!



I’m going to… graduate soon. I mean, I hope so. I finished my Masters in September last year, and am eagerly awaiting my results. When I finished my teaching qualification, I was not invited to the graduation ceremony. They said something about it being a part time, correspondence degree. Anyway, considering the blood, sweat and tears, I do hope to at least have a Zoom photo or something this time around.  


How to Plan a High School Graduation Party



I’m battling with… having to go back to work. On top of the usual anxiety I experience around it, I don’t really feel like I’m had any time for rest and relaxation, and I’m still tired. I also wonder if I’m over this season. I realise that I crave more flexibility to be involved with the kids while they are young, and to have remote working options while Zac is away. If 2021 taught me anything, it’s not to plan too far ahead, so who knows what may become still. 



I’m resolving to… erect healthy boundaries. I need to protect my time, my privacy, and my mental and emotional health. If I commit to do the best I can with what I have, then I don’t have to feel guilty about saying no to anything more than that, or worry about people’s (often unrealistic) expectations. It’s going to take some work, I know, but I have some good people in my corner who are going to hold me to it. 


Creating healthy boundaries and a more sustainable work-life balance for  “future normal” - The 4 Habits

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you a blessed and healthy and relaxing 2022!

    ReplyDelete