Monday 31 December 2018

Day 21: NYE 2018 Reflection

At the start of this year, for the first time, we did a 2018 Family Bucket List aimed at allowing us to grow as individuals and as a family, and experience some special things in between. As we wish this year farewell, I thought I'd report. back on how well (or not) we did at our first attempt.


There are couple things we really aced. We got into it immediately, and whether by habit or purposeful intention, we stuck at it throughout the year. This would include: going to bed on time; eating less bread (the adults, that is; the kids eat plenty bread to the point of is bordering on problematic); seeing a movie with the kids each holiday; giving back by donating clothes / bedding / household items of not only old, but also just not needed or being used; sharing hugs all the time; limiting tv time to limited weekend and holiday slots; and praying together as a family in the morning.

There were some things that kind of caught us by surprise. For example: being mindful about being more respectful, and practising not raising our voices. I realise that this was more for me than anyone else. My expectation has always been for my kids to exercise both of these, but I forget that (a) they are small children who break the rules all the time, and more importantly (b) they will learn this from me. So I have really tried to be more calm (of course I have many moments when things reach boiling point, and my temper joins it), and remember that my kids need my respect and consideration too.

The big ticket items we ticked off were: traveling overseas and visiting The Grahams and Webers. I feel it's important that, when we made up this bucket list, we didn't have the funds to go. This was added in faith, and we had plenty obstacles in getting there, but how wonderful is this holiday we are on? It's God's lavish grace and favour that has brought us here, and we are so very grateful.

Of course there were also times we fell off the bus in a big way - like: sending Luke and Isla a postcard each month (we didn't even manage one!); doing more exercise / prom walks (although I did start swimming in October); growing a herb garden (who was I kidding? I love the idea, but I don't really have the space or the patience); and learn more about nature and animals ( I was relying on Zac for that). I'm keen for us to try some of these again rather than just give them up altogether, so watch this space!

I'm determined to have us camp, and explore more of SA, so be sure to catch that and more on 2019's List in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment