Tuesday 7 April 2020

Lockdown Day 11 - Family First

I didn't post last night. I was busy later into the evening than I usually am. I was watching a movie with my family. On a Monday night. I know!

I usually have a very strict weekly routine. I justify that by saying that I need to to survive. And in a way, I guess I do, although more for comfort than to continue to live. I like to get Monday off to a good start because it sets the tone for the week, so usually, the stakes - and my OCD - are high. But yesterday, I don't know, I think I just didn't think about it. Perhaps being four Mondays into homeschooling and being in some state of isolation I finally realised that we aren't going anywhere, and neither is the work, and for now, maybe we all just need to be a little kinder to ourselves.

Anyway, whatever started it, it continued throughout the day. Andel went to work while I was home doing the schoolwork for the day with the kids. They didn't do the exercise program we had planned, but they chose one they like, and they did it with gusto. The did bits and pieces of the prescribed work, and there were no real tantrums about it. They even all napped, together, for two hours (can I hear a hallelujah?). And so last evening, we watched a family movie with them before bed - all five of us on one couch.



Today's lesson: I have always put my family at the top of list of priorities. Perhaps, though, my attempts at running a tight ship, always with the intention of doing what is best for them, have sometimes sucked the life and joy out of being together. We all need days like yesterday to remind us of what it's really all about...

1 comment: