Friday 24 April 2020

Lockdown Day 28 & 29 - My President

I have spent the better part of the last 24 hours really thinking about the president of South Africa, Mr. Cyril Ramaphosa. What a road he is on. I think about how he came into power, the emotion around the subsequent elections, the collective outcry over the state of our nation. Many began to doubt whether or not he was the right one to lead this nation...

But how he has stepped up to the plate. I have read countless tributes to him on social media. Even the World Health Organisation has commended him, singling him out in the manner in which he has responded to this global crisis, and done his best to protect the people of our country. One of my favourite descriptions of how he has handled the situation in South Africa is this: Third world country; First world President. It's true - he has approached this pandemic with wise council and genuine compassion, he has operated with prudence and integrity, and he has carried himself with grace - and good humour. I cannot think of a South African leader better equipped to take on this mammoth task than he.

So I leave you by this beautiful poem by Claire Lagerwall, and a reminder to pray for our president.

My President you're tired
We can see it in your eyes
It's not really something
You can easily hide

We see you across 
Our television screens 
Addressing the nation 
On a history unseen

We see you stumble 
Over words being said
And I pause to wonder 
What's going on in your head 

Are you coping Sir 
With all that you face
A broken nation 
Looking to you for grace

Are you okay Mr President
You look so sad
Your eyes tell a story
I'm sorry it's so bad

We pray for you 
Hold you in our thoughts
This is a war 
We have never fought 

I'm glad that you're ours
That we don't have to share
That our precious nation
Is under your care

With our cries of faith
We trusted God for a man
Who could steer a nation
Into unknown lands

Thank you, my President
For being so brave
Whilst a nation is judging 
Each move that you've made 

We pray for you Sir
We really do
And we thank God 
For a leader like you

1 comment: