Friday 3 April 2020

Lockdown Day 8 - Time Out


The dictionary defines "time out" in the following ways:
1. Time for rest or recreation away from one's usual work or studies.
2. A brief break in play in a game or sport.
3. A brief period of time during which a misbehaving child is put own their own so that they can regain control of their emotions.
4. A cancellation or cessation that automatically occurs when a predefined interval of time has passed without a certain event occurring.

We are in need of a time out here, for all of the above reasons!

As mentioned yesterday, we hardly notice the difference between the week and the weekend anymore, and while that can be a good thing (think: not having to leave all the chores for Saturday), it can also become a bad thing (think: working every day, because you can). This weekend, I'm going to take a time out. After I've prepared my lessons for Monday. Ok, so I'll take a timeout on Sunday.

The kids are in need of a timeout as well. In our "normal" life, they don't watch tv or movies, or have screen time, at all during the week. It's a treat that they earn for the weekend. But when a lot of their educational activities are web-based, that's hard to control. Our of sheer desperation today I banned the tv (how else do you give consequences when there are not that many nice things to take away anymore?). It was a little weird, I admit, but for the first time in a while, I heard the kids fully engaged with each other, and using their imagination. I heard Sam and Bayley play a proper game of "I Spy". I also heard Zac playing with his cars, on his own in his room, with the greatest Formula 1 commentary to match. It reminded me that it can - and must - be done.

On the whole, we've timed out on this week already, and in the spirit of giving ourselves a break, and adjusting to this way of life as opposed to enduring it temporarily, I think we have earned it.

1 comment: