Monday 13 April 2020

Lockdown Day 18 - Two is Better than One

Two is better than one. And five is better than two. Ask me; I know!

As much as I crave some time to myself, I would not exchange the chaos of our family right now. Here are some of the things that my family gives me that I am most thankful for at this time:

My family gives me purpose outside of what I do for a living. They have given me an opportunity to care for them - even teach them - in a way that I've never been able to. They have allowed me to really prioritise being a wife and mother. And I have been able to find joy in it because it's not competing with everything I usually need time for. It's still helluva tiring, don't get me wrong, but it's worth it.

They give affection. I have two dominant love languages. One of them is physical touch. I can hardly walk past anything I am intrigued by and not reach out to touch it. This is only amplified with my family. I give lots of hugs and kisses, I rub my kids bellies and backs, I stroke their hair. Let's face it, I wouldn't be able to do any of this if I weren't house-bound with my family at this time. Thankfully, they return the favour, and my love tank has remained topped up.

My other love language is quality time, and my family is bringing me companionship. Andel and I sometimes chat about whether or not we would remarry if the other passed away, and we always joke that I would not survive solo. It's the truth. I'm an introvert and enjoy my alone time, but the one thing even better than alone time, is having it with someone else around. There is no shortage of conversation, stimulation, and integration around here right now, and I'm thankful for the company.

My children never fail to entertain. Between the crazy things that they do, funny faces that the pull, and choice phrases that come out of their mouths, we spend a lot of time laughing out loud. Maybe it's their age; perhaps it would be different if we were living 10 years from now. Still, I really love that they have embraced the adjustment, and are making the most of it. I'm also so glad that we have a big family -  they can entertain each other.

Family Day has taken on new meaning this year... Enjoy your time with yours.

1 comment: