Tuesday 28 April 2020

Lockdown Day 33: Handy Andy

I joke about it, but I don't think I have ever appreciated Andel more than I have during this lockdown.

As you will recall, initially I was home alone with the kids when the schools had been closed, and we were not yet in lockdown. During that time, Andel was heading to work each day, facing the varying faces of wrath from the public who were still very much divided on what we should and should not have been doing at the time. Then the President made the call, and everything shut down, and Daddy came home.

The start was rocky, I won't lie, but he has come a long way since Day 1. He has taken over the role of ECD educator with enthusiasm. He upholds a high standard of work, and enforces the code of conduct with a stern word (although Bayley may give you some other versions). Seriously, I have seen him dive into multiple Zoom sessions, navigate parent WhatsApp groups, tackle various crafts, and triumphantly tick off the day's activities one by one as he determinedly gets the kids through it. And he does it with a smile - mostly. It's not like he doesn't have his own work to do. Granted, he doesn't have to deal with people online or in person each day; still, he has been going to work at least twice a week because of various issues, check ups and meetings he has to attend to while they wait to reopen.

Making Pumpkin Soup with Sam


He is also currently the only member of this family who is leaving the house. This means that he is getting up early another once or twice a week to head to the store for us to get supplies. He goes decked out in his mask and other protective gear, and waits in long queues to collect items of a shopping list that, truthfully, he is sometimes afraid to get wrong. He has learnt about sticking to a budget, and pricing cost per kilo, for sure! Sometimes, if the final stop allows, he even brings me home a freshly made dry chai latte - like manna from heaven!

A new kind of masked superhero


It would not be an exaggeration to say that Andel is doing more now than he ever has. But I don't mean that to be critical. Rather, let me highlight how much this man has grown as a hands-on husband and father during this time. He has juggled the kids while I worked on my own assignments. He has sat up rubbing my back and neck as I grade and prep my students' assignments. He has done crazy cardio and stretch workouts with me, and even roped me into the Koala Challenge just for fun. He has quietly endured my frustration when parent-led schooling doesn't work, and taken control before I've had a chance to explode over it. He has lit the fire when I have not been able to get around to dinner, and brought me tea and treats in bed (even though I ask him not to) because he knows it brings me comfort. He let me sleep in 6 hours on Saturday! I feel physical relief at the realisation that I don't have to do everything, alone - and I feel immense love and gratitude for this man who is truly my partner.

Our resident Braai Master


This time, although possibly the most troubled we will go through in our lifetime, will also always be remembered as one of - if not the - greatest staycation our family has had. It has brought us joy, peace, and unity that I doubt may ever be replaced. And I could never have managed or survived this, without my Handy Andy!

We love you!


2 comments: