Sunday 5 April 2020

Lockdown Day 9 & 10 - Pause

While taking some time out this weekend, I thought perhaps it would be a nice time to catch up on what's happening outside of the lockdown. Grab a cup of something warm as we pause together.


I'm thinking about... COVID-19, I mean, aren't we all? I'm thinking about how it has literally forced the entire world into an unexpected and indefinite pause. No one knows when this lockdown life will end, and if / when it does, what will the new normal even look like? One of my thoughts around this that may be a little different to yours is just how peaceful I am about this all. And if you know me (or have read enough blog entries) you'll know I'm usually more prone to angst than peace. I think it is, in part, due to the fast from social media that I've been on the last couple weeks. It certainly helps to not have the panic popping up on all my newsfeeds. More than that though, I think this experience is making God, and His presence in our lives, more real than anything else has. I know that the peace we all feel in our home is something on He could give us.

MyCiTi | MyCiTi COVID-19 Lockdown


I'm watching... more tv than I ever thought imaginable. Isn't it crazy how just being at home more - even if you have to work - means that you don't have to be as strict with a weekday routine (or is that just me?). Andel and I have basically finished Messiah (1), NCIS (17), The Good Doctor (3), Drive to Survive (1 and 2), and local miniseries The Girl from St. Agnes over the two months. They are all so good, and come highly recommended. We've just started Transplant, another medical drama (I can't escape them), and have recently taken a liking to local Afrikaans feature films. There's something about the Afrikaans culture that is so inviting. I don't know what it is, but I am loving these movies!

The River Within (Stroomop) (2019) - Movie Review / Film Essay


I'm listening to... the playlist we created to encourage ourselves and others during these troubled times. It's called Songs of Hope, and can be found on Spotify. It's a compilation of mostly worship songs, dating from as far back as the 90s to now; Word-based, faith-building, hope-giving reminders of God's promises, faithfulness and sovereignty. It's the soundtrack of our lives right now, and I'm loving sharing it with my family.


Spotify – Songs of Hope


I'm loving... the cooler weather! Man, it's been hot in Cape Town for what feels like forever. Even last week, it was still in the high twenties. Then it rained today, and it was bliss! I'm more of a Winter person anyway, so I welcome the change in season. And the fact that I don't have to chase the mosquitoes out of the room every night is a bonus!

Yet another 'intense' cold front is set to lash Cape Town this week


I'm busy... doing my Masters (have I mentioned that?). I registered last year in April, and I thought I would be done by now. Joke's on me though. I have had zero time and only marginally more discipline, and to be honest, my priorities have changed a lot since then. Anyway, it's still important that I get it done, and I actually submitted something this past week, so I'm already a lot further than I was before. I guess the trick is to keep this up. I won't lie: it helps being at home, and having Andel here to help. I have three years to get it done, but I'd rather not wait until then if possible, thanks.

Studying in the UK | Chevening


I'm going to... start doing some DIY decorating. I think I've wanted to do this for a while, but perhaps I haven't had the headspace or money to do it. I still don't have the money, but I was in a phase of playing Design Home almost daily, and I've picked up a few tips. I'll probably only tackle this in the next school holiday, and I'll be sure to document my projects on here. If nothing else, it should be a heck of a laugh.

DIY Decorating: 50 Tips Every Girl Should Try | StyleCaster


I'm battling with... the start of some cabin fever. Who would have thought, right? I'm such a homebody, I really didn't think I would be the one struggling with this 10 days in, but I think it's the freedom I miss. I haven't really been going to the grocery stores thanks mostly to the schlep of it all, and I've really been craving some fresh air and a walk through the Green Belt. After all, you don't live in Cape Town to stay indoors all the time. We have, at least, another nearly-two-weeks of this, so I'm not sure how far downhill this is going to go.

Drinking | Funny new year, Funny quotes, Haha funny



I'm resolving to... learn from the lockdown process. As a good friend of mine put it, "the lockdown has already taught me that I spend my money on k*k". I miss being outside, and having the convenience of getting things as I need them, but we sure have learnt to live with less. As a household we are getting to know each other better. As friends and family, we are connecting more intentionally. As individuals we are learning discipline in our workspaces, balance in our private lives, and compassion in our dealings with others. God has certainly got the world's attention; all we have to do now is turn to Him and listen.

Reset, Refocus, Restart." | Refocus quotes, Inspirational quotes ...

1 comment: